Monday, April 1, 2013

Stoker (Movie Review)


This movie is creepy, weird, awkward, and absolutely amazing. The director is best known for his equally weird and creepy "Vengeance Trilogy" which includes the movie Old Boy. Old Boy is sometimes referred to as the Korean Pulp Fiction for the role is plays in the director's career and in Korean art house cinema.

Stoker is definitely an art house film. I saw it in a theater with 6 other people. Ten minutes in I was hooked. The story centers on a daughter, India,  whose father has just died. At the funeral her mom introduces her to an uncle, Charlie,  she never knew she had. He has a fascination with India that is apparent from the start. She is immediately uneasy around him, but drawn to him all the same. So begins a story of the uncanny depravity that flows through the blood of the Stoker family.

The film's - I hesitate to use this word - 'gothic' sensibilities give it a great tension and atmosphere. This contrasts well with its almost Bretchian sensibility, which seems to invite each frame to be absorbed whole and each scene to be critiqued and enjoyed simultaneously. I watched most of this movie with a smirk on my face. There were scenes that I wanted to freeze frame and rewind, just to enjoy the obtuse meanings that were present. I felt like I was drowning and dying of thirst at the same time.

Add to this a strong script, non-cliche plot, beautiful cinematography, lighting, make-up, etc. and you have a great film.

This is my favorite movie of the still early year. In fact, it is probably the best movie I have seen in theaters since Inglourious Basterds. This movie has made me want to re-explore some of the other movies of Park Chan-wook.

If you are at all interested give it a chance, just know this is not your Hollywood blockbuster.


No comments:

Post a Comment