Monday, October 8, 2012

Classics Club



Thanks to La Graciada - who is much better at consistently blogging than I am - I have now stumbled upon the classics club. Since she thought she was late to the party I can only assume that means I am extremely late to the party, but the idea sounded so great that I cannot pass it up.

You pick 50 "classic books" which you want to read over a set time period. I am really just listing these in the order they come to me / the order I see them on my bookshelf. I am going to make one of these for movies as well in the coming weeks.

I am really interested in finding out what other people's lists look like, so if you have made one or want to put the link in a comment or just paste the list so I can check it out.


1.     War and Peace - Tolstoy 
2.     Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
3.     Ulyssess - Joyce
4.     The Illiad - Homer
5.     Sir Gwain and the Green Knight
6.     Canterbury Tales - Chaucer (I've only read parts)
7.     Il Decameron - Boccaccio (I am going to read it in Italian!)
8.     The Name of the Rose - Eco (Not sure if I'll try it in Italian)
9.     If on a winters night a traveler.... - Calvino
10. Invisible Cities - Calvino
11. V - Pynchon
12. Underworld - Delillo
13. To the Lighthouse - Wolff
14. Orlando - Wolff
15. Tropic of Capricorn - Miller
16. Middlesex - Eugenides
17. Nausea - Satre
18. Waverly - Sir Walter Scott
19. Mysterious Stranger No. 44 - Twain
20. Complete Short Stories - John Cheever
21. The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
22. The Invisible Man - Ellison
23. Giovanni's Room – Baldwin
24. Death Comes for the Archbishop - Cather
25. Chery Orchard - Chekhov
26. Fictions - Borges
27. House of Leaves - Danielwski
28. Leaves of Grass - Whitman (I've only read parts)
29. The Complete Poems - Philip Larkin
30. Paradise Lost - Milton
31. Great Expectations - Dickens
32. Tale of Two Cities - Dickens
33. Notes from the Underground - Dostoevsky
34. Absalom, Absalom! - Faulkner
35. Light in August - Faulkner
36. Tender is the Night - Fitzgerald
37. Catch-22 - Heller
38. The Blind Assasin - Atwood
39. Love in a Time of Cholera - Marquez
40. 100 Years of Solititude - Marquez 
41. Moby Dick - Melville
42. Perdido Street Station - Mieville
43. Beloved - Morrison
44. Lolita - Nabokov
45. Interpreter of Maladies - Lahiri
46. Homage to Catalonia - Orwell
47. Ars Amartoria - Ovid (in Latin)
48. Snow - Orhan Pamuk
49. Measure for Measure - Shakespeare
50. Satanic Verses - Rushdie
51. The Inverted Forest - Salinger
52. The Importance of Being Earnest - Wilde
53. Germinal - Zola
54. Collected Poems - Yeats
55. Footnotes in Gaza – Sacco (Comic)
56. Invisibles – Morrison (Comic)
57. The Dispossessed - Ursla
58. Red Mars - Stanley Robinson
59. The Souls of Black Folk - Dubois
60. Black Reconstruction - Dubois
61. History of the Siege of Lisbon - Saramago
62. My Name is Red - Pamuk
63. This is How You Lose Her - Junot Diaz
64. Ubik - Dick
65. Age of Revolutions - Hobsbawm
66. Living in the End Times - Zizek
67. The Political Unconcious - Jameson
68. Metahistory - White
69. Sweet Thursday - Steinbeck
70. The Book of Daniel - Doctorow
71. Ragtime – Doctorow
72. The Autumn of the Middle Ages
73. War of the End of the World - Vargos
74. Magnus - Brown
75. Complete Plays - Euripides (In Latin)
76. Hidden Reality - Greene
77. America - Bauldrillard
78. Society of Spectacle - Debord
79.  The Age of Wire and String – Marcus
80.  2666 - Bolano



After making this list I am confronted by the fact that there are about 200 more books that easily come to mind to be added. Guess I need to get started. Also note this list does not represent everything I am going to read over the time period allotted - in my case four years - but just an idea of some of what I will definitely be reading.


1 comment:

  1. I had a hard time narrowing my list down as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete